Skip to main content

Memorial to Mom

For a really long time the only thing i could remember after mom's passing was the suffering the last year of her life. It overshadowed every other memory i had of her. I couldn't comprehend why she had to suffer so much after leading a life full of hardships that she overcame with so much love and dignity. Of late i have been having flashes of some of the most precious moments I got to spend with her. So I have decided to document them on my blog to serve as a tribute to the most wonderful human being I was honored to call MOM. 

Introducing Brice
It had a few been a few months since I had met Brice and started dating. We were at the point where we had started talking long term plans. Since I lived in Bangalore and my parents were in Delhi they kind of guessed I had met someone and started dating but they weren't really sure. So I decided to make a trip to Delhi to share the news about Brice. I decided to tell mom my big news first. My mom was just bursting with excitement at the prospect of finding out who her daughter had finally found and was hoping to settle down with. I remember we were sitting on the bed in my old bedroom and i told her that I was dating someone and it was serious. She was quite impatient at this point as these were things she had already guessed. I was measuring my words and trying to provide more context as I wasn't sure how she would take the news that the guy i was dating wasn't an Indian and was from Africa! So I decided finally that i had beaten around the bush enough and it was time to drop the bomb, I blurted out that his name was Brice and he was from Africa. For a moment there was a stunned silence and mom got up and left the room quickly. My heart sank as I knew this wasn't easy for my parents to accept. Before my disappointment could have a chance to sink in my mom was back in my room with the giant atlas we had as kids. She opened up the page with the African continent and asked me to point out the country Brice was from. I was a little confused now. Anyway i went along and showed her and then i turned towards her, instead of seeing a disappointed face i had been anticipating, her face was glowing with delight. This gave me the courage to ask her what she was thinking. She said I'm really happy, I have heard that Africans are wonderful people with rich cultures. I think you will fit right in. I couldn't hide my relief any more, we hugged for the longest time. My mom accepted Brice into the family without any inhibitions. She loved him like her own son and I will be always thankful for the way she welcomed Brice into our family and my life.


With Mom at our Wedding




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith, Hope and Love

I have been encouraged several times to write a testimonial about all that happened around the birth of our second child Alan, his congenital defect  , surgeries and recovery. However, as Alan continued to struggle despite the best medical intervention, I put off writing a testimonial hoping that when he was a 100% healthy I could write a beautiful testimony with a happy ending; something I felt was essential for an inspiring story. However, that day has still not arrived. So, you must be wondering why you are reading a testimonial from me. To answer that, I will have to start at the very beginning. I was born in Bangalore in the early 80s when Bangalore lived up to it's name "The Garden City". I was the middle of 3 girls and my parents taught us about God and the Bible. I attended Sunday school and had an unwavering faith. We moved to Delhi when I was five. Despite all the challenges my parents faced while we were growing up I was a happy child and wanted for not